Tuesday, September 15, 2015

It's Complicated Chapter 2

In Chapter 2 ofIt's Complicated: The Social Lives of Networked Teens, Boyd talks about the issue of privacy on social media. She states that the common teen practices of hiding what is on their social media has historically been sure signs of teens unhealthy obsession with privacy or rejection. A friend of Boyd, named Waffles, says that thinking teenagers don't like the idea of privacy is just ignorant and inconsiderate on the adults part. Parents used to just worry about what their teens were wearing when they left the house, but now they worry what their teens are doing on the internet which causes them to look over their children's shoulder to see what they are doing. To me, I like a little privacy once in a while, but other than that I have nothing to hide. If I want to share something I wouldn't want my parents to see then i would not share it at all. I do get the occasional, "Who are you talking to?," or, "What are you looking at?," from my parents. When this happens, I just answer truthfully and they understand if I show them.

Understanding why parents invade their teens privacy needs to be seen too. Parents worry that their teens are putting themselves on danger when they talk with other people on social media or are afraid that their child is going to share something that would put them in danger online. I can understand from the parents view as to why they want to see what teens are putting on their pages. Boyd explains that because teens share too much on social media, it is harder for them to get the privacy they want due to the media causing the want for privacy to be ignored. I agree with this explanation because if you want privacy, why would you go and share things you wouldn't want anyone to see on social media? That doesn't make sense as to why would you throw out your personal lives on social media when you complain that your privacy is being invaded. I say, don't share anything on the social media you would regret later.

No comments:

Post a Comment